Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Faith Under Fire

Note: this is not my image


It never ceases to amaze me how Christianity has stood the tests of time. From the Roman's persecution of Christians to the countries today who kill Christians, still the faith keeps strong. From the apostles of Christ to His followers today, God has been faithful to His own, even in the midst of intense persecution in hostile countries.

Today, my church hosted a pastor and his family from such a country. They're faced everyday with the possibility of jail time by the government or harsh treatment of the citizens. Yet their faith astounded me at how clear it was. Their focus was on Him, when I'm usually focused on trivial matters, like food, movies, popularity, ect. In the end, it doesn't matter. I know that. But it's amazing how often we forget and do what we like to do. All that matters is God. After all, what's the point of living? We were put in this earth to glorify God and lead others to His love and forgiveness. Who cares about the things that won't last?

One of the other things that struck me is my own inability to really share what I believe with the people I love. The people I'm around don't really talk about what they believe, and the topic of God almost never comes up. Sadly, when it does, it's in vain. Even in the church, I haven't been able to find a true friend who puts God first. Why can't I open my mouth and start talking? We often put too much stock in what other people will think. What if they think I'm crazy? What if they never talk to me again? What if? What if? What if? These questions have always been subconsciously haunting me. But people around the world do talk about it when they know they are risking their lives.

Why?

Because God is real, and the only way a person can get to Him and eternal life is through accepting Jesus Christ as his or her personal Savior. Without Him is eternal separation from God and the other horrors of a terrible punishment that we truly deserve for the things we have done. The love we have should be for others, even enemies, to show them the truth. 

This is what I believe. We all face some sort of persecution. After all, Jesus himself told us that we'd be hated for what we believe. People will even think we're crazy.  The question is, how will you respond?

How will I respond? I'll be thinking on this for a long time... It's easier said than done, but if they have the courage to stand up and face such terrible horrors, can I not share what I know is true?

Blessings,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment